Cream of Vidalia Onion Soup
Executive Chef Johannes Klapdohr served as a judge in the 2014 Golden Onion Cooking Competition showcasing the southern favorite Vidalia Onion. Perhaps that is what inspired this delicious recipe.
For the Soup
- 2 pc. Vidalia onions (peeled, quartered and cut in julienne)
- ½ stick Whole European Butter
- 2 cups Vegetable stock
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- Salt and White Pepper
For the Pesto Croutons:
- ½ cup Olive oil
- 2 cups Ramp leaves (washed and finely cut)
- 1cup Parmesan (freshly grated)
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ pc Baguette (cut in thin slices)
Melt butter in a medium soup pot on medium heat.
Add onions, season with salt and pepper, cover, and reduce heat to low.
Cook slowly over very low heat for ½ hours until onions are soft.
While onions are cooking prepare the croutons:
- In a blender, slowly puree olive oil with ramp leaves and Parmesan (save some Parmesan to sprinkle on the croutons)
- Don’t over puree; you should still see pieces of the ramps.
- Season with salt and pepper and spread pesto evenly on the baguette slices. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake in oven at 400 for 5 minutes and set aside.
Pour in blender and blend until smooth.